Shepherd Park
hrz_line

Shepherd Park, in the northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C., gained its name from its most famous resident, governor of the Territory of D.C. (1873-1874), Alexander Robey Shepherd. Originally called Sixteenth Street Heights, the neighborhood was renamed Shepherd Park in 1943. Shepherd himself owned a plant nursery in the District of Columbia, enabling him to plant over 60,000 trees. Today, the gardens of the city’s residents still sport varieties of flowers from his nursery. His botanical contributions are honored via streets in Shepherd Park bearing flower, shrub and tree names.

Predominantly residential, Shepherd Park’s commercial area is nearby on Georgia Avenue. Housing variety includes both traditional and Spanish-style colonials, bungalows, ramblers, farmhouses, split-levels and Tudors. The neighborhood, which is home to many prominent D.C. professionals, supports an inclusive and very active civic community.